This month’s Recipe Redux theme is “Small Bites to Celebrate a Big Event!” and I am happy to bring you a mini dessert that I hope you will try. Thank you to all the dietitians and foodies involved in Recipe Redux, it is great to see such wonderful recipes every month.
I love desserts. Yes, I will admit that I like a good sweet here and there. I also love to bake so this month it was really difficult to decide what I really wanted to make. I knew I wanted to go out of my comfort level and truly make something that was completely original and unlike anything I have ever made.
I spent a whole train ride home from San Francisco, a good 30 minutes texting with my fellow dietitian/best friend Jessi and two hours in the gym contemplating my game plan for what to make. Finally, I decided that I wanted to make an key lime tart with a gluten free almond tart. Something cool and creamy to help cool down on a summer night.
-Key Lime Custard-
-1 tub or 17 oz Total Fage Greek Yogurt
– 2 Avocados
– 3 Tbsp Honey
– Juice of 3 limes
1. Blend all of the ingredients in a blender until silky smooth.
2. Refrigerate until tart shells are done.
-Almond Tarts Shells-
– 1 cup raw blanched almonds
– 4 Tbsp almond meal
– 6 dates
– 1 oz almond milk
– 1/2 cup shredded raw coconut
– silicone cupcake cups
1. In a food processor, blend the almonds, almond meal, dates together. Add the almond milk and pulse to make the mixture come together to look like wet sand.
2. Place the mixture in a bowl, and mix in the coconut with your hands.
3. Place the mixture in the silicone cups 1/3 of the way and bake at 350 degrees in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Place the cooled custard in the cooled almond tarts and chill for at least 2 hours. Add whipped coconut milk for a silky, creamy finish, but also just plain good by itself.
Happy Birthday Recipe Redux!
Check out the other mini desserts below: